Monday, September 16, 2013

Book Report Inspiration: Soundtrack to Tuck Everlasting

Image via The Taste of Sunshine

I've run across a couple songs this week that have a Tuck Everlasting-ish feel, so I decided it might be interesting to create a soundtrack to the book for this week's edition of "Book Report." Creating soundtracks to books is something I did quite a lot as a teenager. It usually happened around the time I realized that I was getting into a book waaaaay too much and looking for a way to extend the experience. Granted, the soundtracks I compiled then were probably not good to the tune of: Oh, this Stabbing Westward song would be perfect for this Chuck Palahniuk book. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. I like Chuck Palahniuk, and I'm listening to Stabbing Westward right now and enjoying it in a guys-with-dirty-hair-wearing-chokers sort of way.) Wow, I just regressed so deep into 1996 that I lost my train of thought completely. Regrouping...

I hope this is a bit more successful (and less obsessive) than those early attempts, but ultimately, something like this is still pretty subjective. Just as the act of reading a book is a solitary experience, envisioning the sound of a book is the same to a certain degree. It's all coming through my lens, people. And that lens is biased towards songs that evoke daydreamy, lonely, slightly hopeful feelings with an undercurrent of yearning and unease. No surprise there.

What books would appear on your soundtrack creation list? 






"Hallelujah" by K.D Lang (originally by Leonard Cohen) from the Recollection album.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...