Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Peanut & Purls: Wheat baby booties


Disclaimer: there won't be any Peanut in this post because I, Christine, am taking it over this week. Catherine is working a few wretched fourteen hours days as the legislative session draws to a close, and I volunteered to step in with a little knitting post. Such a nice sister! 

I made these wheat booties for my dear friend Abbie, who added a charming lad to her family this February. Little Ralph! I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet, but soon enough I shall make his acquaintance, whereupon I plan to cuddle him mercilessly...

Now for some Instagram pictures. No pressure, but you can follow me @christinesuzanne

These booties were knit using a pattern from The Purl Bee. Whit's Knits: Baby Mocs, to be exact. Now might be a good time to plug The Purl Bee. If you're a knitter and haven't been to their website, I must say: For shame! Get over there right now. They have tons of free patterns and excellent tutorials. This baby moccasins pattern was, for instance, free and super easy to follow. And when I call a pattern "easy to follow," it most definitely is. Just knit and purl stitches. I'll leave the detailed steps to Whit's capable hands, just follow the baby mocs link above.


While the moccasins are so adorable, I didn't have the yarn on hand to recreate their design. So I decided I'd follow the pattern, but knit them in a solid color with a little accent embellishment. I used 1 skein of Milky Whey yarn in Milky Green (which is more blue-green than green-green). Milky Whey, as the name suggests, is composed of 50% milk and 50% soy--a combination that I'll admit I don't quite understand. But it is super-soft, and I was left with yarn to spare (currently, there's a bonnet in progress). The booties knit up quite quickly too. I mean, they're so tiny. 




I had this lovely yellow yarn and decided that I'd use a duplicate stitch to make some little wheat designs. Every time I say the word wheat, I think about one of my former professors, who happened to be from Bulgaria, saying the word wheat. With his accent, it always sounded like weed, and each time he would say it, he would qualify it like so: Wheat. The good kind. And then he would smile sheepishly. So, these booties have a wheat--the good kind--design. 


You might remember the little package I sent off to Abbie. Well, it contained these very booties. So, I guess this post does contain some kittens after all. How satisfying!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...